Before we get into it, let’s take a sneak peek at what’s coming at the end of this post:
Protein peanut butter cups. NOM.
First, let’s catch up:
Still riding that half marathon hopeful PR train! Mike and I crushed an 8 mile run this past weekend and I also had a small body confidence break through. My IG buds know this story already, but it bears repeating :) We planned our long run for Saturday afternoon not knowing it was going to be super hot (dumb move). Took about 2 miles for us to be like “YUP it’s definitely 30 degrees outside”. I was wearing capri leggings and a dark cotton t-shirt so not ideal running clothing for that situation. Mike finally had enough and went topless – scandalous! He kept telling me how amazing it felt and that I should do it too, but that insecure voice in my head wasn’t letting me go sports bra mode. This back and forth in my head (what if people see you? You’re not skinny enough to run in a sport bra! People will laugh at you) lasted until the 7th mile. I was super hot and Mike (knowing all about body issues I have) basically dared me to go the last mile in a sports bra. He said “if you had a daughter, what would she think of how you’re talking to yourself right now”. That did it. I proudly ran the last mile in nothing but my capris and sports bra and guess what...
We ran past people and I got zero judgey stares or comments. I know, imagine that. And it felt SO MUCH BETTER. I was way less heated and the breeze felt so amazing on my skin. Plus, at the end of that run I felt AMAZING about myself. I had just conquered a huge fear and goal of mine and it felt fantastic.
To some, this may be a weird exaggerated story of a run but to me, this was a HUGE step for my body confidence. I don’t talk about it much here on the blog because this just isn’t that type of space, but body confidence is something I’ve struggled with a lot in the past (and still do today) so I’m happy for any and all progress :)
Moving on to….
Protein Peanut Butter Cups
(Couldn’t think of a witty enough segue from that personal talk to delicious peanut butter cups so here’s a Segway)
Like I meantioned in this post, my friends at North Coast Naturals sent me a few of their products to test out. So far, I’m digging them and I decided to try a little kitchen experimentation. You guys haven’t had a recipe in a while and these are SO FREAKING GOOD I couldn’t keep it all to myself.
You could easily omit the protein powder from this recipe and make traditional peanut butter cups, but I find the protein powder version fills me up and satisfies me more than the traditional ones. Basically, it’s to stop myself from eating the whole batch in one sitting ;)
Yields 12 cups
¾ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 tbspn unmelted coconut oil (divided)
¼ cup + 2 tbspn all natural smooth peanut butter
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1. Line a muffin tray with mini cupcake liners
2. Put the chocolate chips and 2 tbspn coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds then stir until smooth.
3. Spoon a thin layer of the chocolate mixture into the cupcake liners. Place in freezer to harden for 10-15 minutes.
4. Mix the peanut butter and protein powder in a microwave safe bowl until combined. Add coconut oil and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
5. Once the chocolate layer is hardened, remove muffin tray from freezer and spoon 1 spoonful of peanut butter mixture into each liner. Place make in freezer for 5-10 minutes.
6. Once peanut butter layer is hardened, smooth the remaining chocolate mixture into each liner, covering the peanut butter layer. Place tray back in freezer for 10 more minutes.
7. Once the top layer is hard, enjoy! Store in freezer.
Let me know if you guys try these delicious bad boys. I always seem to have a batch in the freezer…..
How do you deal with negative self body talk?
See you guys next week!